How do I get started with NXTLOG?
One great way to get started with NXTLOG is by exploring NXT Projects already submitted and getting inspiration to submit your own. The About
section also has some great tips on how to get started.
What kind of files can I upload and share?
At this time NXTLOG accepts image (.gif,
) and LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT .rbt and .rbtx
Updated info for NXTLOG 2.0: You are now also able to upload video files (.mov, .avi, .mpg, .wmv
). It is also possible to upload LEGO Digital Designer files called LXF files
and LEGO MINDSTORMS sound files called .rso
I read that I am allowed a maximum 8 MB file size. Is that per file or per project?
The 8 MB maximum file size is per project.
What is adding steps all about?
Some NXT projects take time to create. Displaying the process one took to design a project step-by-step is one way to clearly share that process. You can share your project in as little as one step, or you can also use steps as a "how to," or you can use steps to explain different components of a project (like how you built your NXT project, how you programmed it, etc.). There are many ways to use steps in NXTLOG. Get creative!
I added a new project but don’t see it displayed on the Projects main page. Why not?
Before a project is made "Public" or displayed on the Projects main page it needs to be screened by our moderators to ensure that it is safe to share with the MINDSTORMS community.
How long does it take to have my project moderated?
It usually takes about 1-2 days for a project to be moderated and then published. Our moderators take their job seriously and take their time to help ensure that NXTLOG is a safe community. Please be patient with the moderators.
Why was my project rejected?
We want to keep NXTLOG a safe and fun community for LEGO MINDSTORMS fans of all ages to share what they are creating with MINDSTORMS NXT. To keep a community safe, we have make sure that all of the content that is submitted is appropriate for fans of all ages.
We will reject projects that...
1. Have links in them to third party video websites. The reason we do this is that some websites that host video may contain content that is inappropriate for our younger NXT fans.
2. Show the NXT as a weapon. We want to keep NXTLOG a peaceful community.
3. Are incomplete projects, "advertisements," or "announcements" to other MINDSTORMS NXT content on the web. We want to see YOUR original NXT projects.
4. Are a copy of someone else's work. If you are inspired by another user on NXTLOG, give them credit!
5. Are NON-NXT projects. The name of this site is NXTLOG - so you are invited to add and share NXT projects.
Happy building :)
How long does it take to have a comment moderated and published?
NXTLOG is receiveing a LOT of comments these days so please allow our moderators some time to review comments. We try to publish most comments within one day, but sometimes it can take longer if there are a lot of comments in the queue.
I submitted a comment and it was never published. Why?
All comments on NXTLOG are moderated (read by the MINDSTORMS NXT team) before they are published. So if you don't see your post online, it may be still be in the moderation queue, or it may have been rejected. Unlike NXT Projects where each user will receive a message on his or her Projects page explaining why a project has been rejected, there is no rejection messaging system for comments. If you feel your comment was rejected, here are some reasons why...
1. The comment was a repeat of a comment previously posted by another user
2. You weren't "Playing Nice" in your comment
3. The comment had personally identifiable information (like an e-mail or full name)
4. The comment was a Double Post
5. The comment was off topic
6. The comment had a link to a website that has inappropriate content on it
7. The comment just had way to many !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and sent the NXTLOG moderator into shock
What are tags?
Tags are keywords or one word descriptions that help to identify a NXT project on NXTLOG. When NXTLOG users create a project they can enter a tag or series of tags to descibe the category of their project, or a specific feature of their project. This makes searching for types of NXT projects easier.
For example, entering a search by a "vehicle" tag may bring up any style of NXT robot that moves on wheels, while a tag like "bluetooth" may bring up any NXT robot that incoporates Bluetooth communication.
Since tags are inputted by users, not all robots that fit under a certain category may come up in a search. The best way to get to know tags is to experiment searching with them. Try typing some tags in the search box or clicking on tags on a project and see what comes up!